How To Compete Responsibly In A Competitive Market
The first three months of 2019 have demonstrated that we are still in a competitive active market. Since January, off-water homes in the Huntsville area have sold for an average sale price of $394,780, averaging 67 days on market and selling for 98.59% of list price. 96 new listings entered the market with 75 sales over those three months. The inventory we gain, doesn’t stick around.
So how do you, as a buyer, compete responsibly in this type of market?
Buyer Strategies…and it’s not always about price
- Know the market, shop and compare prices of similar properties.
- Have a letter of commitment from your financial institution or Mortgage Broker – know what you can afford. Note, this does not necessarily warrant waving a financing condition – but adds strength to your offer.
- Try to work with the seller by learning what the seller needs from the deal. ie.) A quick or a late closing date?
- Provide a letter of introduction – helps the seller know a little more about you.
- Do a home inspection prior to the offer.
- Work with an experienced Realtor who is working for you.
- Know the maximum you are willing to pay – avoid getting caught up in the desire to “win” losing sight of what you can truly afford. This could end up costing you.
- Submit your offer as soon as possible.
- Ask your Realtor to present in person, in front of the Seller and their Realtor if feasible.
- Have a short irrevocable.
If the Seller accepts your offer, great! You came in prepared, confident and you can feel good about moving forward with your purchase. Congrats!
If the Seller did not accept your offer…NEXT! If you were as prepared as you could have been and offered a price you were comfortable with, then you can walk away (albeit disappointed) onto the next home, which could “be the one”. There is ALWAYS another home.
“Kim was a tremendous help to us as we searched for our new cottage. She took time to listen and understand what we were looking for – and she found us a place we love. Her enthusiastic attitude and thorough professionalism made working with her a pleasure. We highly recommend…
A well informed professional who is so accommodating and works tirelessly, we highly recommend Kim to anyone who is looking to find a home in the Muskoka area. She is a genuine and honest person who consistently watches the market and matches properties tailored specifically for your needs and wants. She…
We wanted to take a moment to recognize Kim O'Grady for her skill, affability and sensitivity to our needs in two recent real estate transactions in #Muskoka. First, in helping us find a new home that reflects our needs and personalities, and then in the negotiation and sale of Carrie's…
“From our first meeting with Kim, we felt the true spirit of what life in Muskoka should be, warm, friendly and sincere. Not once did we ever question that she did not have our very best interests as the focus of her intentions. Her honesty coupled with her experience was…
“Thank you Kim for helping us with the purchase of our cottage! Your unique combination of warmth and professionalism was very much appreciated. We felt well so well informed and supported at every step of the process! I will recommend Kim to everyone looking to buy a home or cottage!"
April Market Spotlight Muskoka
APRIL MUSKOKA MARKET DATA WATERFRONT REAL ESTATE SALES ACTIVITY: Huntsville and Lake of Bays Area Compared to April 2019: Increase in Ave. Sale $ (see notes) 1 more new…
1st Quarter Market Spotlights for Muskoka & Almaguin
1st Quarter sales statistics for January, February and March 2020 With the exception of the Huntsville/Lake of Bays Waterfront market we experienced an increase in average sales prices in all…
March Market Spotlight: Huntsville & Lake of Bays
MARCH MARKET DATA : Relevant to the data collected for March 2020, is understanding the market before March 15th and the market after March 15th, when emergency measures were implemented…